I am so happy today and it is a great privilege to share to you my friends, on the importance of turmeric to skin care. Turmeric (Curcuma longa) plant is a natural ingredient found to possess an active antimicrobial property, curcumin that help to kill and prevent the growth of bacteria. The root of the turmeric plant is normally ground to yield a yellow colored powder, which is then used for various applications such as taking care of the skin but also good as a spice and dye. Turmeric is mostly used widely in India for medicinal and culinary purposes such as to improve the taste, color and aroma of food, food preservative. Due to the increase in drug resistance, research has been done to prove its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogenic, antimutagenic, anti-thrombotic, hepatoprotective, and antimicrobial, antiviral and anti-parasitic actions.
Turmeric has been proven to treat variety of skin conditions such as acne, alopecia, atopic dermatitis, facial photo aging, oral lichen planus, pruritus, psoriasis, radiodermatitis, and vitiligo. There are several ways in which turmeric can be combined to other natural ingredients or products to give a healthy, glowing, youthful and beautiful skin.
Here i will discuss 10 best combinations to improve the skin with turmeric:
1. Turmeric and Lemon
The skin bleaching (lightening) properties of lemon will lighten the skin. This skin lightening mask is perfect for treating anti-aging and oily skin apart from lightening the skin.
- Mix 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 teaspoon turmeric.
- Apply an even layer over the skin and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water by gently scrubbing in circular motions.
Use this process weekly twice before going to bed.
2. Turmeric and Oil
This combination is perfect for people with dry, flaky and itchy skin. You can use coconut oil, castor oil or almond oil for this process.
- Mix 1 tablespoon turmeric and any oil of your choice.
- Apply this paste over the skin and gently massage for few minutes.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water followed by cold water.
Continue using this process 3 times in a week.
3. Turmeric and Honey
Honey helps to lock moisture in the skin cells, soothes sun burns and treats acne. This combination is perfect for people with normal and combined skin.
- Combine 2 teaspoons of honey with 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- Apply an even layer over the skin.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Repeat the process 3 times in a week.
4. Turmeric and Cucumber
The astringent properties of cucumber slow down the aging process. This combination is excellent for sensitive skin.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of cucumber juice and 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Apply an even coat over the skin and gently massage for 5 minutes.
- Leave it on for 1 hour and rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Continue this process 3 times in a week.
5. Turmeric and Orange Peels
Orange peel is magic potion for skin care as it helps to cure acne, pigmentation, blackheads and blemishes.
- Peel skin of orange, dry them under sun until crisp and blend them into a fine powder.
- Combine 2 tablespoons orange peel powder, 1 teaspoon turmeric and water to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste over the skin and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water followed by cold water.
Follow this process 3 times a week to whiten your skin.
Note: For better results, add 1 tablespoon honey to the mixture.
6. Turmeric and Banana
Banana is rich in phytochemicals and antioxidants which help to heal the rough and aging skin. This method is perfect for sensitive and acne prone skin.
- Mash 1/2 banana to a smooth paste.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric and stir well.
- Apply this paste over the skin and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with water and pat dry.
Continue using this process daily 3 times a week.
7. Turmeric and Oatmeal
The saponin present in oatmeal exfoliates the impurities, dirt, toxins and dead skin cells from the skin. Apart from that it also moisturizes the skin.
- Grind oatmeal into fine powder.
- Combine 1 tablespoon oatmeal powder, 1 teaspoon turmeric and enough amounts of water to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste over the skin and let it sit for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water.
- Use this pack 2 times in a week to get rid of uneven skin tone.
Note: You can also add milk or lemon juice instead of water.
8. Turmeric and Potato
Catecholase enzyme present in potato helps to reduce dark spots, blemishes and acne scars. Potassium present in potato also hydrates and moisturizes the skin.
- Grate 1 potato and extract juice from it.
- Mix extracted potato juice and a pinch of turmeric.
- Apply this mixture over the skin and let it dry for few minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
Follow this process 2 times a week to achieve desired results.
9. Homemade Turmeric Soap
Chemicals present in commercial soaps can be harmful to the skin. Some chemicals can even dry out or damage the skin texture. By following the below process, you can make a soap at home.
- Melt few cubes of melt and pour soap base using double boiler.
- After soap base melts completely, turn off the heat.
- Add 1 teaspoon turmeric and stir well.
- Pour the soap base mixture in moulds and leave it for 2 hours.
Use this soap daily instead of chemical based soaps.
Note: you can also add green tea or coconut oil or olive oil to the mixture for better results.
10. Turmeric, Tomato and Coconut Oil
Vitamin B present in tomato helps to reduce wrinkles and encourage production of healthy new cells. Coconut oil moisturizes and nourishes the skin. This combination is perfect for dry and itchy skin.
- Mix equal quantities of tomato pulp, coconut oil and turmeric.
- Using fingers gently massage this mixture over the skin for 10 minutes.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water followed by cold water.
Use this process daily before going to bed.
My advice to my dear readers would be that when next you or a friend is going to get that facial or skin care product, you should be after turmeric/ curcumin as part of the content.